Bleeding rail ties and 'Ya chuvstvuyu"

Timothy D. Sergay tsergay at COLUMBUS.RR.COM
Wed May 23 12:19:31 UTC 2007

Josh's "I bleed rail ties" I thought was very inventive, and accurate;
>> and I think it also raised his place on the list by more than 20 points.

Dear Seelangers,

To venture that Platonov's character Fyodorov "bleeds rail ties" may well be
an inventive, accurate and idiomatic way of describing his intuitive passion
for his profession, but I can't agree that "I bleed rail ties" is a valid
translation of what Fyodorov actually says of himself in his dialogue: "no
ia chuvstvuiu..." And that's not because I'm a literalist ninny, although
sometimes I suppose I am. That's because Fyodorov is not uttering an utterly
idiomatic, slogan-like, quite finished and readily comprehensible thought
about himself. If you google for "I bleed" you find Cardinals baseball fans
cheerfully confessing "I bleed Cardinals red" and so on. Fyodorov shouldn't
say "I eat this railroads stuff for breakfast," or "My middle name is
rolling stock," either. He is not pronouncing a well-formulated slogan about
himself. He is groping toward an articulation. As mentioned many times, what
he says is significantly incomplete. I think the translations proposed here
that come closest to that quality are Robert's "I work by feeling" (which
might be even better, less finished, less determinate, as "I go by feeling),
and someone else's very fine suggestion "I feel things" ("WHAT things?").

Best to all,

Tim Sergay