Russian poetry and Rembrandt

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Fri May 25 14:54:51 UTC 2007

Dear Otto,

In addition to Olga Meerson's suggestion to look at Mandelshtam's poem
"Kak svetoteni muchenik Rembrandt" (1937) (see Nadezhda Mandelshtam's
comment on its autobiographical and prophetic qualities), I would like
to add to your list of texts Akhmatova's poem "I prekrasnei mrakov
Rembrandta/Prosto plesen' v chernom uglu..." (1954); Kushner's
collection of poems "Nochnoi dozor" (inspired by Rembrandt as Kushner
revealed in several interviews); and Aleksander Kochetkov's one-act
play about Rembrandt -- "Golova gomera"; Dmitrii Kedrin's play
(written in verse) "Rembrandt" (1940)... Vladimir Narbut was very much
inspired by Rembrandt's paintings, too, but I don't remeber any
specific references at this point; Nikolai Otsup wrote in his long
narrative poem about his  meeting with Annensky in a study compared to
Rembrandt's paintings (na sumrak Rembrandta pokhozhii...)(Otsup, 1993:
it's the edition that was prepared by Roman Timenchik)... Pavel
Antokol'skii was often compared to Rembrandt but I don't remember
whether his collection of poems "Nochnoi smotr" (1974, I think) has
any specific references to Rembrandt, it contains allusions to
Zhukovsky, of course, but there might be something  that evokes
Rembrandt's works ... and, of course, Nikolai Zabolotsky was always
very sensitive to paintings. You might wish to have a look at his poem
"Gomborskii les" (1957) which includes the lines: "Zdes' osen' sumela
takie passazhi/ Naliapat' iz okhry, ognia i belil, /Chtob dub
busheval, kak Rembrandt v Ermitazhe, /A klen, akak Muril'o, na
kryl'iakh paril"."
Good luck with your fascinating project!

All best,
Sasha Smith

=====================================
Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Lecturer in Russian
School of European Languages and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EX8 9JX