Protivoslovo

Sat May 26 14:23:57 UTC 2007

Lily Alexander wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> Rereading yesterday Bakhtin, I ran into "protivoslovo."
>
> I am surprised that I did not come across any attempts of its theorization.
> Of course Bakhtin invented many words, but this one may have slipped
> through undiscussed. It is used in his "Marxism and the Philosophy of
> Language."
>
> As with all of his invented words (or reinvented), it is more than what
> just meets the eye. It  certainly will be more than just "vozrazhenie,"
> counter argument, etc.
> Slovo also connotes tale, myth, even epos, so it might have an extended
> meaning beyond "word."  But of course, for starters, "word" and
> "utterance" would be the subject of his discussion.
>
> Slovo provokes protivoslovo in his context. This would be more along the
> lines of passionate counterargument. Something polyarnoe in a dialoical
> context, coming out of opposition or provocation and stimulated by debate.
>
> Any thoughts?

"Word/antiword" doesn't really work for me because it's too narrow, too
specific, so my immediate reaction was to look for something broader,
something that would denote an activity or practice rather than a small
piece of the result. And of course I thought immediately of "speech,"
recalling the phrase "свобода слова." Then "speech/counterspeech" could
work. I'm sympathetic to the "discourse/counterdiscourse" suggestion,
but it strikes me initially as esoteric or even arcane (is that what
you're aiming for?)

But I'm no philosopher or Bakhtin expert, so take this with a grain of salt.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com