of -ovich, et al.

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Mon May 28 14:14:31 UTC 2007

For a very useful exposition of the history of this see B. O. Unbegaun,
Russian Surnames, Oxford, 1972, pt 1, ch. I, ii Patronymics, iii
Patronymic surnames.
Will Ryan

Jules Levin wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
> A question has again come up on another list, and I need to inform
> myself re the following questions:
>
> 1.  When did the use of -(ov)ich/-ovna with patronymics become a)
> conventional, b) legally required for all ethnic Russians?
>
> 2.  When, if different, did it become required for non-Russians of the
> Empire?
>
> 3.  Was the use of -ov/-ova specifically as the patronymic EVER
> sanctioned/tolerated/found occasionally...in the "modern" Empire?
>
> 4.  If you saw such a form in the hand-written "otchestvo" column of a
> local late 9th Century provincial tally of some sort, of ethnic
> non-Russians (Poles, Lithuanians, Jews, all identified as such), would
> your first assumption be a) actual use of -ov as a genuine patronymic,
> b) scribal confusion/error, c) other???
>
> Thank you for any enlightenment on this topic.
> Jules Levin

Emeritus Professor W. F. Ryan FBA, FSA
Warburg Institute
(School of Advanced Study, University of London)
Woburn Square
LONDON WC1H 0AB

All postal, fax and telephone messages to:
120 Ridge Langley, South Croydon, Surrey, CR2 0AS
telephone and fax: 020 8405 6610
from outside UK +44 20 8405 6610