20th cent. Lit course "Women in Russian Lit"

trubikhina at AOL.COM trubikhina at AOL.COM
Tue May 29 15:16:48 UTC 2007

 Dear colleagues,

I am wondering if you could offer me some pragmatic and helpful suggestions. This summer I am working to develop an undergraduate course called "Women in Russian Literature." The specifics of our situation is that this is the only way at present time that we can quickly get a course in 20th-century Russian Literature that we sorely need through curriculum committees (it already exists on the books) and also enroll it (by cross-listing with Women Studies and English).
Therefore, we have a double goal: there should be a women studies component to it BUT PRIMARILY it should be a course in 20th-century Russian Literature.  Women can be both authors (I am certainly planning to include Tsvetaeva, Akhmatova, and Gippius) and characters/subject/conceptual focus, which makes it easier to include the most important 20th-century male authors.

I was wondering if you could help me by offering suggestions
a) about the specific texts/authors to use (other than the three women authors mentioned above) that would be both the highlights of 20th-century R.Lit. and/or have important women characters/protagonists (OR concept of femininity at the work’s center, like, e.g., Blok’s Russia=eternal femininity concept).
b) a theoretical perspective that a course aimed at fulfilling such a dual purpose could use.

I will be grateful for and looking forward to all suggestions, on or off the list,

Julia

Julia Trubikhina

Assistant Professor of Russian
Russian Program Coordinator
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
Montclair State University
Dickson Hall, Room 138
Montclair, NJ 07043