Avvakum

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Nov 2 02:18:09 UTC 2007

Not from Hebrew directly but from the late Greek Abbakoum, from the
Septuagint Ambakoum = Habacuc (the 8th minor prophet) in the Vulgate and
Habbakuk in the King James version. Beta in Greek is regularly rendered
as v in Church Slavonic. The phonetic progression of mb(mv) to bb(vv) is
unproblematic. A direct borrowing of a biblical name from Hebrew in Old
Russian or Church Slavonic would be very surprising since few if any
Orthodox Slavs knew Hebrew but did of course know the Church Slavonic
translations of the books of the Septuagint.
Will Ryan