Conference: The Pain of Words: Narratives of Suffering in Slavic Cultures (May 9-11, 2008, Princeton)

pankova+ at PITT.EDU pankova+ at PITT.EDU
Fri Nov 2 12:53:07 UTC 2007

I agree that debates on masochism do tend to be tautological.

On the other hand, how could we pinpoint a simple explanation why
"[s]ometimes a man is intensely, even passionately, attached to suffering
-that is a fact"? FMD's take on this would certainly greatly differ from
Freud's (both the earlier one and the later one) which, in turn, differs
from any number of other psychological explanations of masochism.
Lenka Pankova