Pushkin question

Katya Hokanson hokanson at UOREGON.EDU
Mon Nov 5 17:43:17 UTC 2007

Dear SEELANGtsy,

I have been trying to find the source of the phrase:   "Bol'noi,
rasslablennyi koloss" in Pushkin's 1831 "Borodinskaia godovshchina."
It clearly refers to Russia and is italicized in the original.  A
variant was "Bol'noi izmuchennyi koloss."  Lednicki says it responds
to a phrase in the Franco-Polish committee's manifesto calling Russia
"cette puissance colossale."  That no doubt is correct, but the
italicization of the whole suggests to me that it plays off some
other fixed phrase or well-known quotation.  I include the entire
stanza in which the phrase appears for reference.

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Katya Hokanson
University of Oregon

Но вы, мутители палат,