Query: Moscow -- "Port piati morei"

Erika Wolf erika.wolf at OTAGO.AC.NZ
Tue Nov 6 04:48:09 UTC 2007

Greetings,

I am attempting to track the original appearance of the reference to
Moscow as "port piati morei." This term has its origins in the 1930s,
during the canal building of the OGPU/NKVD. I have found plentiful popular
references that attribute it to Stalin -- but that is a common trope in
the culture of the period (either credit or blame him with everything).

Any suggestions or leads would be most appreciated.

Best regards,

--
Dr. Erika Wolf
Senior Lecturer