CFP: Mid-Atlantic Slavic Conference, March 29, 2008, at NYU

Anne Lounsbery anne.lounsbery at NYU.EDU
Thu Nov 8 21:17:38 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues:

I am writing to invite you to submit a proposal for an individual paper or a
complete panel for the Thirty-first Annual Meeting of the Mid-Atlantic
Slavic Conference, a regional conference of the AAASS. Proposals should
include the paper's title, a very brief abstract, any request for technical
support, and the surface and email address of the presenter as well as
his/her institutional affiliation.

The conference will be held at New York University in New York City on
Saturday, March 29, 2007. Panels and papers are welcome on any appropriate
scholarly aspect of Slavic and East European Studies.

Please send your proposals in both electronic and hard copy form BY DECEMBER
14, 2007.  Proposals should be addressed to Professor Mary Theis
(theis at kutztown.edu), MASC Executive Secretary, Department of Modern
Language Studies, Kutztown University, PO BOX 730, Kutztown, PA 19530.

The President of our conference this year is Professor Anne Lounsbery. Her
email address is anne.lounsbery at nyu.edu.

We would like to remind you and your graduate students that their
participation as well as yours is encouraged. A juried award of $200 is made
annually for the best graduate paper judged according to these elements in
our rubric: clarity of main research question and the response to it,
importance to the profession of main research findings, amount of support
for their argument, use of primary sources as well as adequate and
interesting content, readiness for publication, correct use of English, and
readability/style. Please remind your students that they should provide the
necessary visuals or materials to make a valid evaluation. Of course, the
paper must be presented at our MASC to be considered and will differ
somewhat from the written paper. The winning paper is then entered in the
national AAASS competition, where the rewards are more significant. A second
place prize of $175 is also awarded.

Although we are very keen to have the participation of graduate students in
our regional conferences, they and other participants should remember that
if they absolutely must withdraw a paper from a panel once they have agreed
to present it and the panels have been formed, it is their professional
responsibility to contact me well in advance of the conference so that I can
alert the chair and discussant in a timely fashion and revise the final
program accordingly.
I look forward to hearing from you soon and seeing each of you at the
conference.

Sincerely yours,

Mary E. Theis
Executive Secretary, MASC