Increased Enrollments article

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Wed Nov 14 15:16:01 UTC 2007

Today's Chronicle records the MLA's findings on Increased Enrollments in
the Languages
http://chronicle.com/temp/email2.php?id=xvdfDJGsYVNpWyPt4sjmr8R4vRS423wp

In reading the article carefully you will find out two things:
1. The news is NOT all rosy
2. The word "Russian" or "Slavic" appears nowhere in the article.

Does anyone know what the official MLA story is for Russian/ Slavic?

And is anyone tracking what happens to Slavic languages when *small*
colleges jump on the Arabic/Chinese bandwagon?

Please understand I firmly believe more languages are good, in principle,
especially if and when the college has resources in other fields to back
them up. There should be so many more!!
But I also suspect Slavic competes for the same limited student pool as
Arabic and Asian languages. Is this merely mild paranoia? Could it be
that instead we bolster one another?

Thoughts and info?
-FR

--