Russian Fonts in Leopard

Kjetil Rå Hauge k.r.hauge at ILOS.UIO.NO
Thu Nov 15 00:17:59 UTC 2007

mipco wrote:
> I have installd Leopard OS X on my iMac and several old Russian fonts
> stopped being displayed. They did work with  Tiger OS.
> The "Cyrilic" and "Russian Time" fonts I have problem with were made in
> 1994. Does anyone know of a converter to change old documents written in
> an old font into a document with one of new Cyrilic Fonts in Mac? Or are
> there any other solutions?

If the fonts adhere to one of the standards of the time (KOI-8,
MacCyrillic etc), you may try this:

1. Get TextWrangler (free) from barebones.com
2. In Preferences>Text Encodings, enable all Cyrillic encodings
3. Open your word processor and save the file as "text only". If you
have problems at this point, go directly to the next (and you will have
more noise in the result)
4. Open the file in TextWrangler
5. Use menu "Reopen using encoding..." with different Cyrillic encodings
until the result is readable
6. Save as UTF-8 or UTF-16
7. Open in your word processor and reformat (all formatting, bold,
italics etc. will be gone).

Converting non-standard encodings and/or preserving formatting is more
complicated. If can use AppleScript (and FileMaker, for non-standard
encodings) I can send you some scripts that will give you ideas to work
from.

--
--- Kjetil Rå Hauge, U. of Oslo
--- tel. +47/22856710, fax +1/5084372444