to google/should be "who is a Slavic speaker?"

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Mon Nov 19 17:17:56 UTC 2007

Let me cover myself: not a Slavic language in the sense of indicating a Khazar origin for the Ashkenazi Jews (I've often wondered why this argument never considers that the resulting lingo would have had a Turkish structure). The Yiddish syntax I hear (and I admittedly am not a researcher in linguistics) is Germanic, but there are so many Slavic roots used by the Polish or Subcarpathian Ukraine versions--compared to, say, that of the Frankfurt area--that I would think those Yiddishes would be completely opaque to a modern speaker of German. In any event, I was largely speaking tongue in cheek.

Deborah Hoffman <lino59 at ameritech.net> wrote:
  Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:05:06 -0800 (PST)
From: Deborah Hoffman <lino59 at ameritech.net>
Subject: to google/should be "who is a Slavic speaker?"
"SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list" <SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU>

  I've been trying to convince my husband for years that Yiddish is a Slavic language, at least certain geographical permutations of it. If this could replace the who is a Jew controversy, I would be all for it.

From:    Moshe Taube <mstaube at MSCC.HUJI.AC.IL>
Subject: Re: to google

Paul Wexler is a Slavic language, cf. http://www.tau.ac.il/humanities/
>yedion/03-04/syllabi/single_syllabi/06273138.html ) we do it the old
>fashioned Semitic way: we extract the consonantal root, G, G, L, and
then conjugate it in the pi'el formation, hence gigalti, gigalta,
gigalt, megagelim, legagel etc.

Cheers,