"who is a Slavic speaker?"

Vera Beljakova atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA
Mon Nov 19 20:17:09 UTC 2007

Sorry,
Yiddish is based on German and orginated in German-speaking territory.

Vera Beljakova
Johannesburg

 ----- Original Message ------
 From:Deborah Hoffman
 Sent:Monday, November 19, 2007 19:05
 To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU;
 Subject:[SEELANGS] to google/should be "who is a Slavic speaker?"

 I've been trying to convince my husband for years that Yiddish is a Slavic language, at least certain geographical permutations of it. If this could replace the who is a Jew controversy, I would be all for it.

From: Moshe Taube
Subject: Re: to google

Paul Wexler is a Slavic language, cf. http://www.tau.ac.il/humanities/
>yedion/03-04/syllabi/single_syllabi/06273138.html ) we do it the old
>fashioned Semitic way: we extract the consonantal root, G, G, L, and
then conjugate it in the pi'el formation, hence gigalti, gigalta,
gigalt, megagelim, legagel etc.

Cheers,
>Moshe Taube

options, and more. Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface at: