google/who is a Slavic speaker

Deborah Hoffman lino59 at AMERITECH.NET
Tue Nov 20 17:33:42 UTC 2007

Sorry - kayin is "chew" in Yiddish run through a Carpathian accent (as opposed to the one taught by the proper folks at YIVO).

  I don't know whether kayin is the most proper transliteration, but there is more of a vowel separation/second syllable there than is heard in the German kein. Ka-in? With the "ah" turning slightly "ee" before it completely gets to the second vowel?

  I've wondered about the double negative. One hears "Hoch mir nicht kein chainik" (Don't bang my kettle/rattle my cage") but it may be regional. Any Litvaks out there?

Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] to google/should be "who is a Slavic speaker?"