Hoch mir nicht kein chainik

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Nov 21 23:35:18 UTC 2007

At 09:52 AM 11/21/2007, you wrote:
>My ex-wife's family used this expression; they were from one of
>those places that used to be part of Russia but is now in eastern
>Poland, so apparently the expression is more widespread than the
>Baltic countries.
>
>Steve Seegmiller

Strange.  I think this expression is a blend of two expressions:
1.  'haken a chainik'  "talk incessantly about some topic..."

2.  "Macht mir nisht kein [sic! rhymes with Dane] chrein."  'Don't
make me any horseradish' = Don't do me any favors.

Confused blends of this type are not unusual in language.

Jules Levin