No time rates : standard rates for written translation

Vera Beljakova atacama at GLOBAL.CO.ZA
Tue Nov 27 07:06:55 UTC 2007

I agree with Kim regarding product lists, technical drawings, graphs, tables and such, but when I need a technical documents on, e.g., mining, I prefer it if a Russian mining engineer (retired/academic) translates it for me and I edit it ...because I do edit at the speed of lighting in these circumstances, but this does not apply for, eg. non-technical, non-commercial prose.

Regards,
Vera Beljakova

 ----- Original Message ------
 From:Kim Braithwaite
 Sent:Tuesday, November 27, 2007 00:49
 To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU;
 Subject:Re: [SEELANGS] No time rates : standard rates for written translation

 To me, "might need a bit of editing" sends up a red flag. Once in a while a
client will ask me to "look over" a translation that someone else has done
and "clean it up a little." I did that a couple of times, years ago, and
learned that it doesn't pay. Quite apart from a missing or misplaced "the"
or "a," and the like, if you care about accuracy and idiom it takes more
time and effort to check the translation against the original document, and
correct it, than the client wants to pay for (since he/she has already paid
the translator, you see). Almost always these days I politely offer to
translate the item from scratch at my usual rate, otherwise no thanks.

I contend that it is reasonable to quote an hourly rate for certain kinds of
jobs (editing might be one). The "incompetent translator," of course, is a
problem no matter how the remuneration is established.

For documents that are not connected prose such as articles and books - for
example birth certificates, transcripts, product lists and the like - I
generally eyeball the item, decide how long it will take me and how much I
want for it, and quote a flat fee. Most clients accept.

Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator
"Good is better than evil, because it's nicer" - Mammy Yokum (Al
Capp)