discourse words

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Fri Nov 30 15:45:06 UTC 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 3:00 AM, Josh Wilson wrote:

> We seem to really be raging on this issue. :)
>
> I had a very interesting conversation about this with my wife (she's
> Russian, I'm American) this morning over breakfast and I thought I
> would
> share the results as a way of possibly finding some resolution.
>
> I brought up the fact that one of my contributors liberally uses the
> construction "napomnim chto." I strongly dislike this because, in
> English, I
> find it worthless.

You just have to know what it corresponds in English to. This
particular phrase serving as an aside, as a reminder, corresponds to
note that, I should note that, readers should not that and the like.
There may be other versions of it of course:

The center, with a grant from the federal Bureau of Justice
Assistance, reviewed 517 closed Secret Service cases from 2000 to
2006. I should note that the data used for the report do not
represent all of the identity theft cases that were investigated and
prosecuted during this time by the Secret Service and other law
enforcement agencies.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/31/
AR2007103102821.html

Readers should note that the GPB is a simplified version of trend
identification systems developed by Denver Research Group, Inc.
(DRGI). http://blog.washingtonpost.com/postglobal/drg/
DenverResearchGroup.html

Maybe some day there will be a dictionary of these kinds of phrases,
not just of idioms. They usually have a purpose. Although it is true,
that there are some words both in Russian and in English that are
lost in translation.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW