George-Sandizm

Romy Taylor romy at PETUHOV.COM
Mon Oct 1 06:21:45 UTC 2007

Francoise,

I think your final idea - excessive or suggestive eroticism - may be closest.

In 1847, Pavlova had written an invective to Rostopchina, accusing her
of being a "zhorzh-zandistka," e.g., "sebe zhivete bez pregrad":
traveling, emancipation, independence from husband.  But in _Double
Life_ (1847-8) I think the mother is more worried about Cecilia
becoming comfortable with her own sexuality.

yours,
Romy Taylor