IM lingo in Russian

Richard Robin rrobin at GWU.EDU
Tue Oct 2 15:00:32 UTC 2007

Try http://www.kp.ru/daily/23463/36902/

IMHO is ИМХО (I use it myself). Most things like LOL are done through "real"
emoticons, because most Russians use not AIM but rather ICQ, which
practically throw emoticons at you. I have had tons of chat sessions with
both Russian adults and kids (in Russia) that are laden heavily with
emoticons. Also, keep in mind that Russian IM chat is borrowed to a large
extent from SMS (text messages). Since few Russian kids have cell service
with large numbers of prepaid minutes, they tend to send lots of text
messages (СМСки), which run between 2 and 5 cents apiece. It is the set of
shortcuts from that language which have entered the world of ICQ-chat.

-Rich Robin

On 10/1/07, Benjamin Rifkin <brifkin at temple.edu> wrote:

> Dear SEELANGers:
>
> Can anyone refer me to a website with the Russian versions of such common
> IM
> terms as
>
> LOL laughing out loud
> WRT with regard to
> IMHO in my humble opinion
>
> With thanks,
>
> BR
>
> --
> Benjamin Rifkin
> Vice Dean for Undergraduate Affairs and Professor of Russian
> College of Liberal Arts, Temple University
> 1206 Anderson Hall, 1114 W. Berks Street
> Philadelphia, PA 19122  USA
> Voice: 215-204-1816; Fax: 215-204-3731
> www.temple.edu/fgis/rifkin

Richard M. Robin, Ph.D.