A great dictionary

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Mon Oct 8 08:52:10 UTC 2007

I have just been skimming through Stephen Marder's "A Supplementary
Russian-English Dictionary" and can thoroughly endorse the opinions
already expressed. This is a major revision of the first edition both in
presentation and content - a lot has happened to Russia and Russian
since the first edition appeared in 1991. All libraries at institutions
with an interest in Russian should get it. Many thanks to Marder for
writing it and to Slavica for publishing it.
I do hope though that queries in SEELANGS about the meaning of
colloquial, slang, and jargon words which have not been recorded in the
standard dictionaries of 'literary' Russian will not now entirely dry up
- they have produced some of the more interesting and amusing exchanges.
Will Ryan