Vocative for nominative

Toma Tasovac ttasovac at PRINCETON.EDU
Tue Oct 9 18:16:37 UTC 2007

On 09.10.2007., at 18.27, Olga Meerson wrote:

> What case is Sava in, in "Gimnazija Sveti Sava"? What case is Savo
> in in "Osnovna škola Savo Ili"?

As I said, these are two different names. But it's probably better to
say that they are two different variants of the same name. They are
both nominative: Sveti Sava is Saint Sava, whereas Savo
Ilic' (diacritic on c) is a Second World War hero, or Savo Milosevic
-- a popular soccer player. Sava is more common in Serbia, Savo in
Bosnia and Montenegro.  (The same applies to several other names, for
example: Vlada/Vlado, Misha/Misho etc. It does not, however, apply to
male names not ending in -a: Vladimir is only Vladimir).

Another interesting point is that the nominative Savo has the long
rising accent on the first syllable, whereas the vocative of Sava,
which in print looks the same -- Savo -- actually has the long
falling accent on the first syllable. A native speaker who is not
completely tone deaf should be able to tell these apart (although,
watch out, because tone deafness is definitely spreading among the
speakers of Serbian today.)

If you check the list of partisan heroes from the Second World War
(who would have thought that they could come in so handy :) you will
see that one of them is called Sava and a couple of them are called
Savo. That's all.

http://sh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spisak_Narodnih_heroja_Jugoslavije

> Whatever cases they are (I do not know Serbian, so my questions are
> really questions and not objections), these have nothing to do with
> either nominative or vocative, judging by their function in the
> sentence.

Sure they do, these were not sentences but names of two different
schools, one using the name Sava (the saint), the other using Savo
(the hero). What a juxtaposition!

I hope I didn't make things even more confusing now.

All best,
Toma