Pushkin, Platonov, The New Yorker and Storony Sveta

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Mon Oct 15 21:19:25 UTC 2007

Dear all,

Many of you were very helpful to me earlier this year when I was asking
about various translation problems with regard to both Pushkin and Platonov.
So I¹d like to take the opportunity to pass on some good news:

1) Platonov¹s ŒAmong Animals and Plants¹ (translated by me, my wife,
Elizabeth, and Olga Meerson and only a little abridged) is in this week¹s
NEW YORKER:
http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2007/10/22/071022fi_fiction_platon
ov

There is also an interview with me about Platonov:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/2007/10/22/071022on_onlineonly_platonov

An unabridged translation of this wonderful story will be in SOUL AND OTHER
STORIES (NYRB Classics, Dec 2007)

2) Our tr. of THE CAPTAIN¹S DAUGHTER is now  available in the USA:
ISBN 978-1843911548

And there is an article by me about translating the novel in this excellent
e-journal:
http://www.stosvet.net/6/chandler/

Many thanks, again, to everyone I corresponded with about these works!

Robert