Putin on the study of foreign languages

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at TEMPLE.EDU
Fri Oct 19 17:48:08 UTC 2007

Dear SEELANGers:

This came through on another listserv to which I subscribe and I thought
some on SEELANGs might find it interesting.

Sincerely,

BR

Talking the talk: Putin expounds on foreign languages
MOSCOW (AFP) ‹ Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday jokingly
compared his learning of German to training a circus bear, and said he
studied English regularly to have "normal" conversations with other leaders.

"Before I went to Germany and lived surrounded by the language, I did not
possess it," said Putin, who lived in Germany as a KGB officer before
returning to Russia and becoming involved in politics in the early 1990s.

To read the complete article see:
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i52KvT6MmTabQMeeGBwFZGgg8JDg
<http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5i52KvT6MmTabQMeeGBwFZGgg8JDg>

--
Benjamin Rifkin
Vice Dean for Undergraduate Affairs and Professor of Russian