Child Care at AAASS National Convention in 2008 - gauging interest

Anne Eakin Moss amoss8 at JHU.EDU
Tue Oct 23 02:48:27 UTC 2007

Dear Colleagues,

We have been discussing with the AAASS Executive Committee the
logistics of creating an independent cooperative of members
interested in arranging for child care at the national convention in
Philadelphia in 2008. We are very excited about the possibility of
starting this service at the AAASS convention to meet the needs of
members with children, and we are very pleased to report that the
executive committee has been very supportive of the idea. However,
this cooperative would be an independent initiative, not sponsored by
nor affiliated with AAASS. AAASS assumes no liability for the use of
these services.

In order to proceed with our planning, we need to have a rough idea
of how many people would use the service. We plan to engage one of
the fully licensed and insured major convention child care companies
and use a suite in the convention hotel. There would be a fee for
this service, based on how many children you will drop off and how
many days or hours you will use. The costs will depend on the total
number of children participating, but based on the experience of a
similar initiative at another scholarly conference, the prices should
be lower than hiring a private babysitter. The dates for next year's
convention, to be held in Philadelphia, PA, are Thursday, November 20
to Sunday, November 23.

If you are interested, please respond as soon as possible to the
following questions:

*How many children would you want to enroll and what are their ages?

*How certain are you that you would use the service?
Very:
Somewhat:
Not very:

*How many full days and/or partial days do you think you would you
use the service?
Full days:
Partial days:

Thank you. We look forward to your responses.

Anne Eakin Moss
Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow
Humanities Center
Johns Hopkins University