shlyukha, kurva, shalava

Wed Oct 24 12:52:27 UTC 2007

Alina Makin wrote:

> I am not sure that 'shalava' actually implies dirty appearance or a
> lower socio-economic class. To me, this word would be used to
> describe young and tarty-looking girls with loud clothes and equally
> loud (flirtatious) behaviour. I would translate that as "a tart",
> not as "a skank".

The dirty, low-class sense, with a strong element of sluttiness, is
definitely what "skank" means, but "tart" has largely fallen out of use
in modern American English (not so in British, from what I hear), so I
can't guarantee what people here will think it means. For me it has the
euphemistic feel of an upper-class person trying not to say a
lower-class word, whereas "skank" bars no holds.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com