Quote from Tolstoy

Brewer, Michael brewerm at U.LIBRARY.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Oct 24 17:39:11 UTC 2007

You can search for keywords (geroi, etc.) using Feb-web and should probably be able to sort this out.  It is not terribly user friendly, but does have a huge amount of text in there to search (I believe all Tolstoi's published works). http://feb-web.ru/indexen.htm .

mb

________________________________

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list on behalf of Irene Zohrab
Sent: Tue 10/23/2007 4:59 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Quote from Tolstoy

Dear colleagues,

I have been asked to provide the exact source for a quote from Tolstoy:
'there are no heroes but only people'.
The quote is cited in an unpublished letter by Katherine Mansfield, the New Zealand-born writer of short stories.

Dictionaries of quotations mention the quote as coming from Tolstoy, but don't say from where.
Is there a Concordance of Tolstoy's works?
Could some Tolstoy expert kindly help me identify this quote?

Irene Zohrab.
Victoria University