passage from The Brothers K

Katherine Hicks-Courant khicksc1 at SWARTHMORE.EDU
Thu Oct 25 22:33:11 UTC 2007

Hey Josh,
I'm sure this has occurred to you, but Sibelan Forrester and Michael
Pesenson could be really helpful on this.
Though they might be the ones that directed you here.
Good luck!
Katherine Hicks-Courant '09

On Thu, October 25, 2007 17:13, Cohen, Josh wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I am currently working on a paper based on Dostoevsky's The Brothers K. My
> thesis is grounded in this single passage in the English from the
> Constance Garnett translation. It is Ivan speaking to Alyosha at the end
> of "The Grand Inquisitor" chapter:
>
> "I meant to end it like this. When the Inquisitor ceased speaking, he
> waited sometime for his Prisoner to answer him. His silence weighed down
> upon him. He saw that the Prisoner had listened intently all the time,
> looking gently in his face and evidently not wishing to reply. The old man
> longed for Him to say something, however bitter and terrible. But He
> suddenly approached the old man in silence and softly kissed him on his
> bloodless, aged lips. That was all his answer. The old man shuddered. His
> lips moved. He went to the door, opened it, and said to him, ‘Go, and come
> no more
.Come not at all; never, never!’ And he let Him out into the dark