Russian rules, Czech geography

Martin Votruba votruba+ at PITT.EDU
Sat Sep 15 18:55:38 UTC 2007

> Now what if the Slavic place name were a cognate of a Russian
> word like "selo" - for me this is purely hypothetical as no

It would probably be declined, Francoise.  (The Russian rule about
not declining foreign names ending in -o has not developed
spontaneously in the spoken language, cognates or not).  Such a full
cognate could be Borovno -- a Czech village, and a Russian village
and lake.  It would hardly occur to a native speaker not to decline
it should they make a reference to the quite obscure Czech place --
the rule would have to be imposed by an editor or someone like that.

You can find, for instance, the Czech version (Kladsko) of the Polish
place name Klodzko declined in Russian:

www.brocgaus.ru/text/006/381.htm

... and the Czech place name Blatno (scroll down the page):

http://stasdm.onego.ru/phillumeny/labels/czech/page1/page1_r.html

There are also instances of such Polish place names used with the
locative ending in Russian.

Martin

votruba "at" pitt "dot" edu