Reading the characters with & and #

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Mon Sep 17 13:10:42 UTC 2007

One coding system for Cyrillic characters turns each letter into
a string of marks and numerals. The first two marks are & and #.
After that there is a number, for instance 1096. Finally there is
a semicolon, like this  ;
E-mail programs and internet transmission systems can sometimes
turn these strings back into Cyrilic letters, but sometimes they
don't, and we see the string on our screen. This happened to me
this morning when the program of the 5th Graduate Colloquium on
Slavic Linguistics was distributed over SEELANGS.
If you, too, see a string of marks and numerals where there should
be Cyrillic letters, try this trick. It doesn't always work, but
sometimes it does. Copy the string from the first &# to the last ;
and paste it into the Search window of Google. Then hit the Return
key on your computer. Google knows how to interpret these strings,
and you will see Cyrillic in the search window.
I was able to determine that Susan Vdovichenko's paper title
at the 5th Graduate Colloquium is "Spikaesh' Inglish?"
Yours,
--
Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof. of Linguistics
Department of Linguistics

tel. 607-255-0712 (o), 607-273-3009 (h)
fax 607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu