SEELANGS Digest - 15 Sep 2007 to 16 Sep 2007 (#2007-198)

Nora Favorov norafavorov at BELLSOUTH.NET
Mon Sep 17 13:50:29 UTC 2007

Dear Don & List,
I will reply to Don Livington's posting to the entire list because my story
may be of interest to others -- and perhaps I'll even get some good advice.
I recently made the bold decision to upgrade to MS Office 2007. As soon as I
did Word became unusable, crashing every few seconds. Luckily, the product
came with free tech support (for 90 days, I think) and I was able to get
someone on the phone pretty quickly to help me out. After a couple of hours
it turned out that, as usual, my Cyrillic keyboard drivers were the problem.
My dear friend (by then) in Mumbai told me that the only solution was to
uninstall my Russian keyboard driver and spellchecker (ParaWin & Orfo) and
buy the MS Russian language pack ($24.99). As soon as I did this all my
problems were solved, kind of. Word worked very well and, incidentally, I
found the new design a great improvement. However, the Russian language pack
does not offer a translit keyboard and I found that my aged brain was not
learning the Russian typewriter layout as quickly as it once did in my
youth. So I tried installing Don Livingston's keyboard driver. The
installation seems to have worked, but I still don't have a translit
keyboard for some reason. I am using Windows XP.

If I find a way around this I will let y'all know. So far, I have not had
time to do a lot of research into this.

So, Don, yes, I did *try* to use your new keyboard driver, but so far no
success. Thanks for making it available.

Best wishes,
Nora Favorov
norafavorov at bellsouth.net