language classroom games (concentration, jeopardy, etc.)

David J Birnbaum djbpitt+seelangs at PITT.EDU
Mon Sep 17 15:42:56 UTC 2007

Dear SEELANGers,

The recommendations I received on this list for language-learning
software flashcard applications were so helpful that I thought I'd try
again: Can anyone recommend versions of games like Concentration and
Jeopardy that can be used for language learning purposes? They need to
be free (no-cost, but not necessarily open-source) and to run on a PC,
and of course they would have to be designed so that I could create my
own entries. They don't have be web-based; a stand-alone program that I
can project from a laptop during a class session would be just as useful.

Concerning Concentration, a traditional version (where the player has to
match identical squares) would be fine, but even better would be one
where I could direct the system to match non-identical squares, such as
a picture and the Russian word corresponding to it, etc.

Other games suitable for language-learning purposes would also be welcome!

Please respond by private email to djbpitt+seelangs at pitt.edu . As with
the flashcard drills, I'll be happy to post a summary of responses.

With anticipatory thanks,

David
djbpitt+seelangs at pitt.edu