i kratkoe as ich-laut

Mon Sep 17 21:22:58 UTC 2007

gladney at UIUC.EDU wrote:

> Dear colleagues:
>
> I read somewhere that, for example, Ru. _moj_ can be pronounced
> emphatically with i kratkoe being devoiced as an ich-laut.  I thought
> it was in Panov's _Russkaja fonetika_ (1967), but I can't find it.
> Can someone direct me to the reference?

I can't cite you a reference, but that was definitely my experience when
I took classes in Moscow some years back -- when the teachers were
trying to be especially clear in their pronunciation for our benefit,
they often fricativized /j/, and then of course once it was a fricative,
the final devoicing rule applied: мой, моя́ as [moç], [ma'ʑa] (мось,
мазя́, etc.), or in Polish spelling, moź (pron. moś), maźa, etc.

Similarly, Чайковский came out as [čəç'kɔfskiç] (ćaśkofskiś) with
devoicing before /k/. Of course in this exaggerated pronunciation the
/a/ in the first syllable was not fully raised to [i] as it would be in
casual speech.

Please forgive my clumsy attempts at transliteration.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com