query re: Russian commonplace books

Rebecca Jane Stanton rjs19 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Sep 21 14:44:07 UTC 2007

Actually I have at least one friend in Petersburg who does keep what
would, I think, be best described as a commonplace book -- into which
she writes poems and other fragments of literature she's read that
strike a chord with her, effectively anthologizing them for personal
use.  She produces it quite often when I'm around and the subject of
poetry comes up.  I can't imagine she is alone in this -- especially
given the Russian affinity for books and libraries, the historical
scarcity of commercially produced books, the tradition of samizdat, etc.
-- but the question of whether it exists as a recognized cultural
phenomenon with a name, much less a known history, in Russia is one I'm
not in a position to answer.

Regards,
RJS

--