Russian commonplace books

Anne Fisher Anne.Fisher at WILLIAMS.EDU
Mon Sep 24 14:58:55 UTC 2007

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query about commonplace books.

I'm still intrigued by the line between the writer's notebook and the
commonplace book, which seems to reflect a pedagogic, self-improving,
or collecting impulse. Is the line determined simply by whose words
you are primarily collecting - your own or other people's?

When I hear "zapisnaia knizhka" or "dnevnik dlia zapisok" I tend to
think more of the writer's notebook than a commonplace book; perhaps
the problem is that these terms just indicate the physical object
instead of characterizing that object's contents.

It seems that the answer to my question of how to translate
"commonplace book" has been answered - there isn't an exact word
meaning "commonplace book" because in Russia there wasn't a tradition
analog to the original English one, there were mainly writer's
notebooks and albums (also an interesting word which seems to be more
precise in its relationship to its signified than "zapisnaia
knizhna," since "al'bom" not only describes the physical book object,
it also describes its owner's mode of using that object - to collect
things in it). Thus we'd need to use descriptive locutions to get at
the Russian for "commonplace book" rather than direct translations.
Although I do like "knizhitsa vsiakoi vsiachiny!" I wonder what Dr.
Stanton's friend would call her personal anthology?

Thanks for an interesting discussion,

Annie

Anne O. Fisher
Visiting Assistant Professor of Russian