Razryadka (spacing)

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Fri Aug 1 13:38:30 UTC 2008

I think it is less used than it once was but it certainly has not
disappeared - in reference works in particular it is still often used as
one level in the hierarchy of emphasis. The fairly recent  five-volume
Slavianskie drevnosti: etnolingvisticheskii slovar' (1995-2004), for
example, uses bold caps for headwords, bold cap and l.c. for
cross-references to headwords, razriadka for expansions of headwords and
subentries, and italic for foreign words and words cited as dialectal or
terminological. In this sort of publication the availability of an extra
level of typographical emphasis clearly has editorial advantages.
Will Ryan