Enquiry on small caps in Russian

Chew G G.Chew at RHUL.AC.UK
Fri Aug 1 17:42:24 UTC 2008

________________________________

From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list on behalf of William Ryan

Spacing-out was used in Germany and to some extent the Netherlands for
emphasis and sometimes for book titles in bibliography, but I have the
impression that italic is now gaining in use

Well, my experience in the Czech Republic even these days is that if I send italics to the printers they invariably convert it to Sperrung (i.e. spacing). (I'm glad Paul made the point about being able to use"character spacing" for Sperrung in MS Word. Saves having to insert non-breaking spaces in words to avoid stupidities at line ends.)

Geoff
g.chew at rhul.ac.uk