Pushkin's "Klevetnikam Rossii" (1831)

Frans Suasso Franssuasso at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 2 23:08:43 UTC 2008

I want to add a few remarks to Robert Chandlers reaction.

In 1ug. 1831 P{ushkin has recently married and has moved from Moscow to
Tsarskoe Selo because of problems with his mother in law. He wants to
improve his relations with the authorities  and hopes to get permission for
his first historiographical work: The history of Peter I. He does
evberything to present himself as a serious person and a loyal citizen.

Keep also in mind that some of Pushkins  relatives were  closely involved in
the Polish events. Pushkins brother Lev was due to return to the army in
Poland any moment  and his brother in law Pavlishchev was a civil servant in
Warsaw. Pushkins opinions therefore  will not have been that  different from
that of most Russians living in Poland.

Here are the dates and facts as they are  known  All dates are in old style.

Aug.2. Pushkin finishes the text. The autograph carries the following remark
in Pushkins hand:

Tsarskoye Selo  August 2nd.

Aug. (first half) The emperor asks Zhukovski to send him a a copy of
Klevetnikam Rossii.

Sept, 5 Anniversary of the Battle of Borodino. Pushkin finishes his poem
with the same name. The autograph carries the date.

Sept. 5. The three poems are officially presented to the czar.

Sept 7.  Censor Gaevskiy approves the poems.

Sept 10. Printing is ready (two hundred copies). Censor gives permission for
distribution.

Sept 11-13. The brochure is actually distributed, Adversiments  announcing
the publication (available Smirdins bookshop) appear in the Northern bee.

Sept. 14 Russkiy Invalid reprints Pushkins poem Klevetnikam Rossii.

Sept 14  A.I. Turgenev (not the writer) mentions rumours that Pushkin has
become  the historiographer of Peter I. and says that Pushkin was paid for
his Klevetnikam Rossii.

I wonder if the eminent french Pushkinist the late Andre Meynieux has not
published something about the French c onnection of Klevetnikam Rossii.

Thew widely praised Binyon gives a fair representation of the state of
Soviet Pushkinology around 1990 with  all its nationalistic distortions and
sometimes even forged sourcematerials.

Therefore do not believe him blindly.

Frans Suasso. Naarden Netherlands