Russian Visa

Renee Stillings renee at ALINGA.COM
Tue Aug 5 18:30:46 UTC 2008

Thought I'd post some of my response to this to the list, as it may be
useful to others. I've left out a couple of references to the "helpfulness"
of the Russian Consulate just in case any of them are on this list. :)

1. They can often interpret "stazhirovka" to mean "internship" which they
view as business-related. So you should just tell them it is a student visa.
And on the visa application itself, for purpose you will put in the "other"
field "study". Don't put things like "research" as it just confuses them as
that is not a visa type.

2. They do need the original invitation now - they need this for ALL student
visas (stazhirovka, ucheba, kursi) with no exceptions. The also need HIV
test results, regardless of duration of a student visa. And yes, the 5-day
hold does apply.

3. Be sure on your visa application that you put only the dates as shown on
your invitation, regardless of how long you will be there.

Renee
www.sras.org

---------

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone on this listserve, especially those who work with
study abroad programs, can help me with some questions about a Russian
stazhirovka visa question.