Pushkin - Mirsky - 'incisive kisses'

Matthew Herrington herrington.matthew at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 6 06:19:01 UTC 2008

Dear Mr. Chandler,

The caustic kisses are from "Bakhchisaraiskii fontan":

Чей страстный поцелуй живей
Твоих язвительных лобзаний?

Chei strastnyi potselui zhivei
Tvoikh iazvitel'nykh lobzanii?

Unfortunately I don't know the origin of Mirsky's story.

Best,
Matthew Herrington

On 8/6/08, Robert Chandler <kcf19 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>  In his fine book on Pushkin, Mirsky quotes these 2 lines.  Can anyone give
>  them to me in Russian?
>
>  ŒWhose passionate embrace is more alive
>  Than thy incisive kisses?¹
>
>  They are from either ŒKaf. Plennik¹ or ŒBak. Fontan¹.
>
>  And if anyone happens to know where Mirsky¹s little story is from, that will
>  be beter still.
>  ŒWhen a reader objected that Œincisive¹ was an inappropriate epithet for
>  Œkisses¹, Pushkin replied that he wanted people to understand that Œmy
>  Georgian bites when she kisses¹.
>
>  Best Wishes,
>
>  Robert

Matthew Wilson Herrington
Ph.D. Candidate, Harvard University
Department of Slavic Languages and Literatures
12 Quincy St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
mherring at fas.harvard.edu