Pushkin- Karamzin - the Decembrists - History

Frans Suasso Franssuasso at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 7 13:47:42 UTC 2008

The correct quote is:

История народа принадлежит Поету.

It is from a letter to Gnedich of febr, 23 1825.

Frans Suasso

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Chandler" <kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM>
To: <SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 3:13 PM
Subject: [SEELANGS] Pushkin- Karamzin - the Decembrists - History

Dear all,

The Decembrists were critical of Karamzin¹s HISTORY OF THE RUSSIAN STATE.
One of their criticisms was that K. put to much emphasis on the role of
Tsars, not enough on the role of the narod.

I have been told by a Russian friend that they said that History belongs to
the people, not to Tsars, and that Pushkin responded with something like
OIstoriya prinadlezhit POETU¹!

Can anyone confirm this and tell me where it is from?

Many thanks,

Robert