translation position

Ellen Elias-Bursac eliasbursac at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 15 10:06:11 UTC 2008

Toma,
I imagine you lounging in the shade in a wifi cafe in Rovinj, sipping
something refreshing and reading this. I saw the posting you'll see below on
the SEELANGS listserv the other day and it caught my eye as something I
might take a shot at. Are you aware, as an alum, of anything I should know
about before I go ahead and send in my stuff? The wording sounds to me as if
they have someone lined up, particularly the part about the
candidate bringing funding with them. It would suit me in fact if they do
have someone lined up for the position because I'm in no rush to leave the
Tribunal but still feel it is a good exercise to apply for things I am
actually qualified for. I don't know much about the Iowa translation
program. Is it, in your view, a good program? Any input you might come up
with would be much appreciated,
best,
Ellen

--- Forwarded message ----------
From: Valentino, Russell <russell-valentino at uiowa.edu>
Date: Aug 13, 2008 6:53 PM
Subject: [SEELANGS] translation position
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu

The Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature at The University of
Iowa seeks to fill an associate professorship in translation studies.
The successful applicant will be expected to teach in and direct the MFA
program in translation (the "Translation Workshop"). The successful
applicant will be a translator, scholar, or creative writer with an
advanced terminal degree (PhD, MFA) and a proven record of
accomplishment and sustained productivity. Other requirements are
extensive experience in the field of professional literary translation
and experience in teaching at institution/s of U.S. higher education.
Success in program administration and external funding is desirable.

The Department and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences are strongly
committed to gender and ethnic diversity; the strategic plans of the
University, College and Department reflect this commitment.

Candidates must submit applications online at http://jobs.uiowa.edu/. Do
not mail paper applications. Attachments to the application should
include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and contact information
for three letters of recommendation. Refer to requisition number 55869.

Applicants are also requested to send samples of published work to
Translation Studies Search Committee, Cinema and Comparative Literature,
E210 AJB, Iowa City, IA 52242-2004. Review of applications begins on 23
September 2008, and preliminary interviews will be held at ALTA in
Minneapolis.

The University of Iowa is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity
Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.

Russell Scott Valentino

Chair, Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature

University of Iowa