Publisher note

Michael Denner mdenner at STETSON.EDU
Thu Aug 21 17:06:48 UTC 2008

Lisa,
I'm sure to sound strident here...

Was it the authors' fault that, when KH saw fit (finally after five or six years) to produce a "second edition" of _Live from Moscow_, it consisted exclusively in replacing the cassette tape with a CD which was significantly INFERIOR in quality to the original cassette tape? (Y'all apparently just pointed a cheap cassette player at a microphone -- one can hear the sounds of buttons clicking). Moreover, the CD lacked track points (just one long file), thus making it nearly useless? (My poor students had to fast-forward through the CD, looking for the next exercise.)

Since you left the textbook itself unchanged-with a not inconsiderable number of serious errors and embarrassingly dated-the "second edition" of the textbook was actually worse than the first.

But it cost more. And drove out the first edition.

Was that attributable to the authors' failings? Or will you perhaps admit that KH was at fault?

Am I the only language instructor who feels ill used by the industry?

~mad
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
   Dr. Michael A. Denner
   Editor, Tolstoy Studies Journal