TOILET / UNITAZ

Charlotte Rosenthal crosenth at USM.MAINE.EDU
Wed Aug 27 00:12:01 UTC 2008

Dear John,

We actually say "bathroom" because in the US the toilet is usually located in the same room as the sink, shower, etc.
We also do say "restroom."  We also say "ladies' room" and "men's room" because in public places most often there are two rooms, one for women, one for men.
Charlotte

Charlotte Rosenthal, Ph. D.
Associate Professor of Russian
Dept. of Modern & Classical Langs. and Lits University of Southern Maine
Portland, ME 04104-9300 U.S.A.

crosenth at usm.maine.edu
>>> John Langran <john at RUSLAN.CO.UK> 08/26/08 5:05 AM >>>
Corrections 2nd sendingDear colleagues

Ruslan 1 US edition is nearing completion

I am struggling for an American English translation of the Russian "tualyet".
I think that in US English this is the receptacle (unitaz), not the room.

Someone suggested "restroom", but knowing Russian toilets as I do I cannot put that!

How about "toilet room"?

Thanks for any suggestions before the end of Wednesday when I have to finalise (sorry, finalize) the text

john at ruslan.co.uk

John