Impersonal with accusative d.o.

Alina Makin resco at UMICH.EDU
Thu Aug 28 20:58:11 UTC 2008

1) Меня знобит
2) Меня воротит от овсянки
3) Дом занесло снего
4) Нас залило водой с третьего этажа
5) Его сильно ударило током
6) Его трясло от гнева
7) Нас отбросило взрывной волной
8) Тело вынесло течением
9) Аж дух захватывает
10) У мамы прихватило поясницу
etc.

I don't think they are all that rare, I can go on for a while.  It looks like this is
just another way of expressing passivity in the meaning of illness, forces of
nature, accidents, extreme emotions.  Therefore, verbs of shaking, throwing,
striking and grabbing are used more often than others.  Instrumental case is
used for the implied agent of the action.

Alina Makin
The University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor