linking i

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Aug 30 23:07:12 UTC 2008

Ljiljana Progovac has been studying imperative compounds in Slavic:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:P3D_xGluLjQJ:www.indiana.edu/
~sls2006/Handouts/ProgovacSLS.pdf+Ljiljana+Progovac
+imperative&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a

This is a pdf file, hence the URL is extremely long. Another paper of
hers dealt with fossilized imperatives in names.

AI

On Aug 30, 2008, at 5:24 PM, jdingley at YORKU.CA wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Spinning off from "vertolet", might someone tell me why we appear to
> have the link vowel "i" in "vertishejka" (Jynx torquilla):
> http://www.floranimal.ru/pages/animal/v/4672.html
> although "vertoshejka" also crops up:
> http://www.photodom.com/photo/523015
> There seem to be a few compounds with "i" as the link vowel around,
> e.g.
> "krutigolovka", "vertixvostka". Perhaps it has something to do with
> 2nd class verbs?
> I am aware of numeral compounds such as "pjatiletnij", but in these
> "i"
> is not a link vowel.
> Unless I have a bad case of "starost' ne radost'" (quite possible), if
> compounds are formed with a link vowel, that vowel is always either
> "o" or
> "e".
>
> John Dingley

>   options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
> at:
> ---

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University