linking i

jdingley at YORKU.CA jdingley at YORKU.CA
Sun Aug 31 16:04:52 UTC 2008

Hi,

My thanks to Jim Augerot for this:
>augerot wrote: > Perhaps these are nouns derived from imperative phrases:
>derzhimorda derzhiderevo come to mind as parallel constructions. Even
>spasibo may be traced back to such a construction.

and to Will Ryan (private communication) who pointed me to the relevant
section in the Academy Grammar, viz. ยง 469, which gives vertixvostka,
derzhimorda, perekatipole, skopidom, sorvigolova ...

and to Alina Israeli who directed me to the work of Ljiljana Progovac:
http://www.indiana.edu/~sls2006/Handouts/ProgovacSLS.pdf

It would seem that this imperative compounding is unproductive, which
view is supported by vertIshejka > vertOshejka:
http://www.floranimal.ru/pages/animal/v/4672.html
http://www.photodom.com/photo/523015

Vladimir would seem to fall into this category (see Progovac). However,
vladi- must come from the defunct vlasti/vladu, imp. vladi, since it
cannot derive from vladet'/vladeju.

John Dingley