Capitalization in titles

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at ILLINOIS.EDU
Mon Dec 1 20:55:46 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues and Prof Nikolaenko:

My general impression for capitalization of Russian-language
titles is to capitalize the words in the Russian title the same
as one capitalizes words in a Russian prose sentence.  I.e.,

1. capitalize the first word (of the title) - Voina i mir;
2. capitalize people's names (first, middle, last) - Lev Nikolaevich Tolstoi;
3. capitalize names of institutions on the same basis as
Russians capitalize certain words in that institutional name -
Sovetskii Soiuz; Khudozhestvennyi teatr.

I suppose that exceptions will turn up; they usually do...

Best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois (USA).

Date: Mon 1 Dec 11:13:36 CST 2008
From: Lena <nem at online.debryansk.ru>
Subject: Capitalization in titles
To: Prof Steven P Hill <s-hill4 at illinois.edu>

Dear Prof Steven P. Hill,
I am interested in capitalization of words in the Russian
output title.

Sincerely,
Nikolaenko Elena

Date: Mon 1 Dec 09:04:18 CST 2008
From: <LISTSERV at bama.ua.edu>
Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
To: "Steven P. Hill" <s-hill4 at ILLINOIS.EDU>

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:33:49 +0300
From: Lena <nem at ONLINE.DEBRYANSK.RU>
Subject: : Translation problem

Dear Seelangers,
I faced the following translation problem:
 when translating various
names (companies, etc) from English into Russian are there any rigid
rules of spelling: e.g. if the name of say a magazine has 2
words, the first is to be written with a capital letter, the second -
with a small one.
Could you please tell me where I can read about that?

With gratitude,
Nikolaenko Elena
E-mail:  nem at online.debryansk.ru
http://www.acr.scilib.debryansk.ru/ruslat1/index.html