Sibilant voicing in American English

Kim Braithwaite kbtrans at COX.NET
Wed Dec 3 06:29:10 UTC 2008

Equation comes to mind, assuming the voicing is recent. But maybe you
already have that. Haven't heard "fision" myself. Interesting phenomenon.

Mr Kim Braithwaite, Translator
"Good is better than evil, because it's nicer" - Mammy Yokum (Al Capp)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul B. Gallagher" <paulbg at PBG-TRANSLATIONS.COM>
To: <SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 9:17 PM
Subject: [SEELANGS] Sibilant voicing in American English

Dear friends,

I've been putting together a collection of words where the sibilants /s/
and /ʃ/ ("sh") have recently become voiced in American English.

Here are a few examples (sorry if they make you wince):
cazhmere (wool)
(nuclear) fision

Obviously, "possess" (cf. French posseder) has had a /z/ for a long
time, but I don't know how long; I'm interested in 20th-century or later
shifts.

Isolated morphemes seem to be more susceptible; paradigms like
fishes/fished/fishing are apparently immune.

Can anyone add to my collection?

Private replies welcome, all replies accepted.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com