Political Correctness in Russia

Gorham,Michael S mgorham at UFL.EDU
Thu Dec 4 03:29:27 UTC 2008

Though references to it are out there, I don’t think “PC” has really taken root in Russia, for a variety of reasons. This being said, you can find one discussion of it — specifically in connection to alternatives to ‘invalid’ (‘chelovek s ogranichennymi vozmozhnostiami’?) -- in Marina Koroleva’s blog spinoff of “Govorim po-russki” (which includes some good folk-linguistic comments in response):

http://www.echo.msk.ru/blog/markorol/524888-echo.phtml

And then discussed during their 6 July 2008 broadcast (archived at:)

http://www.echo.msk.ru/programs/speakrus/archive/9.html

Seems to me the rise in the use of “rossiiskii”/”rossiiane” (in place of “russkii”/“russkie”) in the 1990s could also be viewed through the PC lens, though here I’d also be careful....

A quote from the Tolstaia piece cited by Alina, I think, is instructive — “Умение прозревать в языке следы угнетения  со  стороны  эксплуататоров достигло в академических кругах Америки виртуозности” -- at least as far as the skepticism on the Russian side of the equation goes....

Michael Gorham
--
Michael S. Gorham
Russian Studies, LLC